After falling in an early 10-0 hole, Clemson was in desperate need of a big play. On the final play of the first quarter, they got one when Tanner Muse ran down Buckeyes RB JK Dobbins from behind and tripped him up at the 8 yard line. The tackle saved a touchdown and gave the Tigers stingy red zone defense its second opportunity at stymieing the Ohio State offense deep in Tiger territory, and stymie them once again they did.
We pick it up with the Buckeyes having it 1st and Goal, at the Clemson 8, and the Tigers already trailing 10-0.
Ohio State 10 Clemson 0
OSU Ball, CU 8 15:00
- 1st & Goal: Justin Fields pass to KJ Hill incomplete. Justin Foster with pressure and K’Von Wallace knocks the ball away
- 2nd & Goal CU 8: Dobbins runs it behind the RT, Chad Smith makes the stop, gain of 3
- 3rd & Goal CU 5: Dobbins gets behind Foster and Fields lays it in perfectly. Dobbins can’t complete the catch, Called a touchdown on the field, replay correctly overturns. Tigers very fortunate Dobbins doesn’t catch that. Buckeyes settle for three.
Ohio State 13 Clemson 0
CU Ball, Tigers 25 14:11
- 1st & 10: Trevor Lawrence hits Justyn Ross over the middle on a short crossing route, gain of 5
- 2nd & 5 CU 30: QB Keeper, Lawrence picks up 3 around the left side
- 3rd & 2 CU 33: IZ Travis Etienne gets 2.5, just short of the marker. Davis Allen slow to pick up his block, Tigers punt. Spiers booms a 52 yard punt
OSU Ball, Buckeyes 14 12:15
- 1st & 10: Fields can’t connect with Victor, AJ Terrell flagged for interference
- 1st & 10 OSU 21: QB Keeper off zone read, Chad Smith with the stop, no gain
- 2nd & 10 OSU 21: Fields hits Austin Mack down right sideline. Mack leaps over AJ who was all over him, to make the grab.
- 1st & 10 OSU 45: QB Keeper, gains 3
- 2nd & 7 OSU 48: Fields hits TE Jeremy Ruckert over the middle, gains 6
- 3rd & 1 CU 46: Buckeyes catch Clemson’s D sleeping, run a quick sneak, gain of 3. Tigers looking at sideline and OSU hurries up to line and runs the play
- 1st & 10 CU 43: Master Teague stopped by XT, loss of 1
- 2nd & 11 CU 44: Wallace blitzes, but Fields escapes, gains 21
- 1st & 10 CU 23: Tigers caught sleeping again, not set as OSU runs a play. Fields can’t hit KJ Hill in the end zone, as Derion Kendrick is there to break it up. DK probably there a hair early.
- 2nd & 10 CU 23: Teague picks up 2 around left side
- 3rd & 3 CU 16 (after substitution infraction: Teague runs behind RT, gains 5. Wallace on the tackle
- 1st & 15 CU 16 (after false start): Fields hits Mack but he comes down out of bounds, out of back of the end zone.
- 2nd & 15 CU 16: Screen to Dobbins dropped. Likely scores had he caught it
- 3rd & 15 CU 16: Fields with all day to throw but no one open. Throws it away. Buckeyes settle for 3 again and are now 0-3 in the red zone as far as scoring touchdowns.
Ohio State 16 Clemson 0
CU Ball, Tigers 25 7:20
- 1st & 10: Play fake, Lawrence and Ross not on same page, incomplete
- 2nd & 10 CU 25: Option pitch to ETN, gain of 8
- 3rd & 2 CU 33: QB Keeper, Pollard pulls and Lawrence runs around left side and gains 6
- 1st & 10 CU 39: Play fake, Lawrence looking for Amari in the flat, it’s covered. instead hits ETN on a little flare, gains 10
- 1st & 10 at 50: Fake to ETN, Lawrence keeps it and runs around the right side, and Chase Young for 5
- 2nd & 5 OSU 45: Looking for screen to Lyn-J Dixon, covered, thrown away
- 3rd & 5 OSU 45: Lawrence drilled by Sean Wade and Chase Young finishes him off with a “bulldog” style tackle around the neck.
This textbook targeting the way the rule is written. It doesn’t matter whether Lawrence runs low, high, sideways, or even upside down.
Wade is ejected and Ohio State penalized 15 yards. Tigers pick up a 1st down instead of punting
- 1st & 10 OSU 30: Chase Brice in, ETN gets it and loses a yard as he trips over his own man
- 2nd & 11: Lawrence back in, and in his own words, “pissed off.” Lookin for Ross in the end zone and Buckeyes called for interference. Easy call as the DB had a hold of Ross’ arm for ten yards.
- 1st & 10 OSU 16: IZ, ETN no gain. Tigers OL getting handled
- 2nd & 10 OSU 16: Lawrence forced from pocket, scrambles for 8
- 3rd & 2 OSU 8: Option pitch to ETN, can’t get the edge, turns back in and scores. This was all Travis
Ohio State 16 Clemson 7
OSU Ball, Buckeyes 25 2:45
- 1st & 10: Dobbins is swarmed, dropped by Skalski and Wallace, no gain.
- 2nd & 10 OSU 25: Tigers only rush 3, Fields with time, hits Garrett Wilson down right sideline, gain of 9
- 3rd & 1 OSU 34: Tigers blitz, Dobbins hit in backfield and dropped for a loss of 2. Tyler Davis blew that one up, Buckeyes punt. Dobbins injured on the play. Ankle got twisted up.
CU Ball, Tigers 17 1:50
- 1st & 10: Lawrence and Ross can’t hook up
- 2nd & 10 CU 17: Lawrence tries hitting Ross on a back shoulder throw, well covered and broken up
- 3rd & 10 CU 17: Lawrence hits Ross on a deep slant route. gain of 16
- 1st & 10 CU 33: Lawrence looking for Overton on right side, incomplete
- 2nd & 10 CU 33: Lawrence does work.... and Braden Galloway with a downfield block
Ohio State 16 Clemson 14
OSU Ball, Buckeyes 25 1:10
- 1st & 10: Teague picks up a yard
- 2nd & 9 OSU 26: Play fake, incomplete
- 3rd & 9 OSU 26: Teague stopped for no gain, punt
CU Ball, Tigers 23 0:01
Tigers take a knee to end the half. After a brutal beginning, this Tiger team hung in tough and fought back. After looking like they might get run out of the building early, all of a sudden we have a game.