Outside of the goal line stand by South Carolina on the opening drive, this game was all Clemson. The defense was stingy, as it has been all season. Trevor Lawrence was dropping dimes like only he can. The coaching staff was continuously getting the better of their counterparts on the opposite side. The fan base was even able to turn large portions of Willy B all orange. It was glorious.
We pick it up in the second quarter, with the Tigers up 10-0 and possessing the ball. After picking off QB Ryan Hilinski on the Gamecocks fourth offensive play, the defense had forced two straight three and outs, and Trevor and the offense had found their groove, and the tone for how the rest of the day would play out had been set.
Clemson 14 UofSC 0 15:00
Clem Ball, SC 45
- On 2nd & 9, Lawrence can’t connect with Justyn Ross, who was well covered. Then on 3rd & 9 he can’t hook up with Diondre Overton. Will Spiers hits a 42 yard punt that is downed at the SC 2. Great effort by AJ Terrell and Isaiah Simmons to ensure the ball never crossed the plane.
SC Ball, SC 2 14:38
This was the long 15 play, 76 yard drive UofSC had that resulted in their only points of the game. The drive takes over 7 minutes off the clock.
- 8 of the first 10 plays were runs by either Rico Dowdle or Tavien Feaster and gained 39 yards out to their own 45.
- Facing a 3rd and 1 from the SC 45 Hilinski pulled off one of the better play fakes you will see.
One more look. Simmons almost gets him, but Hilinski gets it off and Muse bit hard of the fake.
- 1st and 10 at the CU 25 but the Gamecocks can only pick up 4 more yards and settle for a 39 yard FG
Clemson 14 UofSC 3 7:14
Clem Ball, CU 10
- Lawrence and Ross connect on 1st down, gain of 13. Ross lined up on the inside and this was an easy pitch and catch. Ross was given to much cushion.
- Lawrence hits Amari Rodgers on a little WR screen, gains 1, and the a screen to Lyn-J Dixon is well covered and results in a loss of 5.
- Facing 3rd and 14, Lawrence and Tee Higgins connect for a 26 yard pick up. Another pitch and catch.
- After Travis Etienne is stopped for no gain on 1st down, Lawrence and Ross hook up again, this time for 37 yards. That is a pretty god DB Ross is working over.
- A 1st down completion to JC Chalk gains 3 and a 2nd down completion to Overton loses a yard.
- 3rd and 8 at the SC 16, and it’s Lawrence to Ross again.
Terrible snap by backup center Cade Stewart. That has become all to common with him. Lawrence is as composed as ever, picks it up and drops it in perfectly.
Clemson 17 UofSC 3 3:04
SC Ball, SC 25
- The Clemson D forces another 3 & out. Jordan Williams sacks Hilinski on 1st down for a loss of 8 and they punt 2 plays later.
Clem Ball, CU 34 1:11
- After a Jackson Carman hold, Clemson faces 1st & 20. Lawrence hits Overton for a pick up of 7, then hits him again for 20 more.
Big catch there. That ball was thrown on a rope and right by a defenders ear.
- Lawrence and Ross hook up two more times, for 5 and 7 yards, with a Lawrence 8 yard run coming in between. That sets up a 46 yard FG by BT Potter as time expires.
That kick would have been good from 55 easy. If Potter ever develops some consistency, he is going to be quite the weapon.