The ACC Championship Game was competitive for about a quarter, as Virginia was able to move the ball in the first quarter. Their opening drive ended when Bryce Perkins was picked off in the end zone, the second one resulted in a long TD pass, and on their third possession they drove into Clemson territory before punting just before the end of the opening period.
The second quarter begins with Clemson up 14-7 and possession of the ball. Trevor Lawrence and Tee Higgins hooked up for a 38-yard completion on the final play of the 1st quarter, giving Clemson a 1st down at the Cavaliers 40.
- Travis Etienne gains 13 on 1st down, but Lawrence throws consecutive incompletions before being sacked on 3rd down, stalling the drive at the UVA 35. BT Potter misses from 52 yards, but Dabo Swinney had called TO before the snap. Potter misses again, but UVA is offsides, moving it up 5 yards. This time Potter nails it from 47. If he gets the mental aspect down, Potter can be some kind of weapon with that leg.
Clemson 17 Virginia 7 12:55
UVA Ball, Cavs 25
- The Cavs run 5 plays, gain just 11 yards, then punts. The punt bounces off Derion Kendrick’s face mask and fortunately lands right in the lap of Sheridan Jones, who was on his back.
Clem Ball, CU 32 10:15
- ETN gains 14 on 1st down, an two plays later we get this gem
One more look
It doesn’t get much better than that. On the very next play
Luke Price with a block that seals off his man, and a nice cutback by ETN.
Clemson 24 Virginia 7
UVA Ball, Cavs 25 9:10
- UVA gains just 15 yards on 6 plays and punts
Clem Ball, CU 17
- Tigers go on a 12 play 83 yard TD drive to take control just before the half. One of the big plays was this 20 yard catch and run by Justyn Ross. One of many examples on the night of the Tigers big, physical wideouts having their way with Virginia’s DB’s.
Two plays later was this strike to Diondre Overton.
Lawrence and Higgins connect for a 7-yard TD pass to finish the drive
Clemson 31 Virginia 7
UVA Ball, Cavs 25 0:49
- The Cavs go 3 and out, without gaining a yard. After the punt, Clemson runs one play before the half ends.