After jumping out to a quick 14-0 lead it seemed like the Tigers were on their way to putting away another opponent before the end of the first quarter. It didn’t quite play out that way however, as Wake was able to stay within striking distance for most of the first half before Clemson would put it away over the last few minutes of the first half, eventually coming away with a 52-3 win.
Despite the fact that the Deacs managed to hang around for a little while, at no point did it ever feel as if they posed any threat at making the game competitive. Not having their top two wideouts made them one dimensional, and what had been an effective running game against other teams was no match for the Tiger defense. Time after time, Wake’s slow developing zone reads went for no gain or resulted in a TFL, and with no running game, Wake QB Jamie Newman was ineffective.
We pick it up with the Tigers up 14-0 and with the ball. After Trevor Lawrence was sacked to end the 1st quarter, Clemson was facing a 3rd & 17 from their own 20.
Clemson 14 Wake Forest 0 15:00
- Trevor Lawrence hits Travis Etienne for a gain of 12 and Tigers punt
Wake Ball, Deacs 26
- Three and out highlighted by a Tanner Muse sack on 3rd down
It was the perfect call perfectly timed and executed.
Clemson Ball, CU 22 12:25
- Clemson goes on a 10 play 60 yard drive that results in a FG. ETN had a 16 yard run, then followed that up with an 18 yard gain on a screen pass.
- Lyn-J Dixon then had a 22 yard run before Lawrence hooked up with Dionde Overton while scrambling left.
- Tigers could not convert on 3rd and 4 from the Wake 14 and settle for a 35 yard BT Potter FG.
Clemson 17 Wake Forest 3
Wake Ball, Deacs 25 8:28
- Deacs have the ball for 6 plays but manage to gain just 20 yards before punting it right back to Clemson. Wake’s punter can boom it. The punt goes for 55 yards.
Clemson Ball, CU 20 4:50
- Lawrence picks up 12 yards on first down on a keeper, but they can not convert a 3rd and 2 and punt
Wake Ball, Deacs 30 3:02
- Another three and out forced by the Clemson D. Punt
Clemson Ball, CU 20 2:15
- A 23 yard pass to Overton puts Clemson past midfield at the Wake 47. After an 8 yard pass to Justyn Ross, ETN does this.
- The Trevor would find Tee Higgins for the 14 yard TD pass. Right over the top of the safety rolling over to help.
Clemson 24 Wake Forest 3 0:42
- Jamie Newman would be picked off three plays later by AJ Terrell. It was a touch underthrown, but AJ was all over this one.
- And the very next play.... Lawrence to Tee! This play had all day long to develop.
Clemson 31 Wake Forest 3
That is how the half would end. Wake ran one more play after the ensuing kickoff.