After a fairly sloppy showing in the first quarter against the Cardinals, Clemson started hitting enough plays in the second quarter to begin putting some distance between them and the upstart Cardinals. We pick it up at the start on the second quarter, just after one of the ugliest interceptions of Trevor Lawrence’s career, and his second on the day. The Tigers are up 3-0, and Louisville has just taken over after the pick in the end zone.
Clemson 3 Louisville 0
Cards Ball, L’ville 25 15:00
Evan Conley in at QB.
- The Cards once again can not take advantage of a Lawrence INT, going 3 and out. Punt.
Clem Ball, CU 19 13:38
- 1st & 10- Travis Etienne straight up the middle on the IZ, gains 10
- 1st & 10- Pitch to ETN, right side, tries to cut back left, nothing doing, gain of 3
- 2nd & 7- Lawrence to Amari Rodgers, complete for a 61 yard gain. TLaw rolled to his left off of a play fake, and threw a dart to Rodgers, hitting him in stride. Amari makes one man miss and is off.
- 1st & Goal, L’ville 7- QB Keeper, no gain. Well defended
- 2nd & Goal- ETN tries to get around the right side, gain of 1. Looked to be a cutback lane to his left, but he goes towards the right side.
- 3rd & Goal- Lawrence to Joesph Ngata for the 6 yard TD. Louisville rushes 4, gets pressure off of a stunt, Lawrence wants Amari towards the left pylon but he is covered, so he steps up into the pocket and finds Ngata over the middle in the back of the end zone. Perfect throw, where only his man can get it, but even better catch.
Clemson 10 Louisville 0 10:41
Cards Ball, L’ville 38 10:41
Potter didn’t get the kickoff deep into the end zone, and Hassan Hall, their dangerous return man almost broke one.
- 1st & 10- Handoff to Javian Hawkins between the tackles, left side, James Skalski there to make the play. Gain of 1
- 2nd & 9- Hawkins gets 2 up the middle,
- 3rd & 7- Conley hits Dez Fitzpatrick towards the right sideline, gain of 11. Kendrick on the coverage.
- 1st & 10 CU 48- Play fake, Conley with plenty of time has Tutu Atwell down the seam for a big gain, but Atwell can not make the grab. Break for the Tigers, as the play was there and the ball was on target. Great route that just got the best of Denzell Johnson.
- 2nd & 10- Hawkins between the tackles, right side, gain of 15. Had a big hole to run through. Fake reverse holds Chad Smith. Isaiah Simmons almost stops him for no gain.
- 1st & 10 CU- QB Keeper, Conley gains 11. Multiple missed tackles. KJ Henry missed him, Mike Jones Jr also misses, as does AJ Terrell.
- 1st & 10 CU 21- Play action, Conley has to scramble, gains 1. (Kendrick called for def holding)
- 1st & 10 CU 11- Hawkins with the carry. Stretch play to right side, no gain. Good penetration up front by Tyler Davis, as he and Simmons make the stop.
- 2nd & 10 CU 11- Bootleg off the play fake, Conley throws it away. Well defended.
- 3rd & 10 CU 11- Pressure from Chad Smith who comes untouched, but over runs it, and Conley scrambles out to his left and hits his TE Jordan Davis, gain of 2.
- Cards settle for 28 yd FG
Clemson 10 Louisville 3 4:57
Clem Ball, CU 25
- Tigers run 4 plays and net just 5 yards. A 4 yard loss on a swing pass to Lyn_ Dixon and a John Simpson holding penalty kill the drive. Punt
Cards Ball, L’ville 28
- Cards run 4 plays for just 9 yards. A 1st hold and a false start on 2nd put the Cards way behind the sticks. Simmons sacks Conley on 3rd and long, getting Conley one play after Conley stepped out to avoid contact with Simmons. Punt.
Clem Ball, CU 23 1:05
- 1st & 10- Lawrence hits Rodgers down left seam, gain of 14
- 1st & 10- Lawrence throws just as he is hit, connects with ETN crossing over the middle, gain of 16
- 1st & 10 L’ville 47- Lawrence hits Ross on a deep slant over the middle, gain of 22
- 1st & 10- Lawrence spikes the ball to stop clock
- 2nd & 10- Lawrence to Ross, 25 yard TD. This one can speak for itself.
Clemson 17 Louisville 3 0:05
- Handoff to Hawkins gains 5, time expires.