Despite a rough start from the offense in the first quarter where two promising drives ended in two interceptions, the offense managed to put a score on the board before halftime courtesy of what amounted to a Justyn Ross hail-mary catch from Trevor Lawrence to extend Clemson’s lead 17-3. The defense managed to hold the Cardinals out of the endzone while forcing three turnovers from Louisville.
Clemson was set to receive the ball first coming into the second half.
CLEM BALL - PUNT
- (15:00 - 3rd) Joe Ngata returns the ball for 40 yds to the Clem 40, putting Clemson in good field position. Ngata has gotten more comfortable each and every week on kick returns.
(13:23 - 3rd) - Despite the return, Clemson is unable to put together a drive in its first possession of the second half, putting together a quick three-and-out despite some favorable field position from Ngata.
Lville BALL - Turnover on Downs
(11:38 - 3rd) Despite some good short runs, Louisville is forced into 4th and short on their side of the 50, where the Cards take a chance to go for it. Javian Hawkins is stuffed run for a one-yard loss to the Lvile 45.
CLEM BALL: MISSED FG
- (9:14 - 3rd) Despite a couple of good Etienne handoffs, Clemson’s offense stalls once the ball is taken out of Etienne’s hands. Steven Sawicki yanks his 44-yard field goal attempt wide left, handing the ball back to the Cardinals.
Lville BALL: PUNT
(8:11 - 3rd) The Cardinals are forced into another three and out, resulting in a 49-yard punt from Mason King punt for 49 yds. Freshman defensive back Andrew Booth is called for offensive Holding and ejected from the game for unsportsmanlike penalty.
CLEM BALL: PUNT
3rd & 11 at CLEM 6
- (6:53 - 3rd) Despite third and long, Lawrence puts on his wheels for a 20-yard run to the Clem 26 for a 1ST down.
- (4:28 - 3rd) Despite the major highlight run, Clemson’s offense is forced to punt yet again, with Will Spiers pun 34 yds downed at the Lvile 21
Lville BALL: PUNT
- (4:08 - 3rd) Evan Conley gets sacked by Tyler Davis for a loss of 5 yards,
- (3:06 - 3rd) Evan Conley gets sacked AGAIN, this time by Justin Foster, for a loss of 11 yards
(2:09 - 3rd) Clemson’s consecutive sacks put the Cardinals out of any chance to put a drive together, and King 59-yard punt is returned by Amari Rodgers to the Clem 42
CLEM BALL: Touchdown (2 play, 58 yards, 0:34)
(1:56 - 3rd) Trevor Lawrence pass complete to Diondre Overton for 9 yds to the Lvile 49
(1:35 - 3rd) It only takes Clemson two plays to score, with Travis Etienne breaking open run for a 49-yard TD run (B.T. Potter KICK GOOD)
Lville Ball: Punt
(1:29 - 3rd) Evan Conley pass complete to Tutu Atwell for 13 yds to the Lvile 38 for a 1ST down
(0:52 - 3rd) Javian Hawkins run for a loss of 3 yards to the Lvile 35
(0:20 - 3rd) Evan Conley pass incomplete to Dez Fitzpatrick
(0:00 - 3rd) Conley sacked by Chad Smith for a loss of 9 yards to the Lvile 26. The quarter ends with Lville set to punt.
End of 3rd
CLEMSON 24 Lousville 7
Start of 4th
CLEM BALL: Touchdown (7-play, 63 yards, 2:10)
(14:42 - 4th) Lyn-J Dixon run for 3 yds to the Clem 40
(14:17 - 4th) Trevor Lawrence pass complete to Davis Allen for 10 yds to the 50 yard line for a 1ST down
(13:48 - 4th) Trevor Lawrence hits Diondre Overton for 18 yds to the Lvile 32
(13:24 - 4th) Travis Etienne run for 18 yds to the Lvile 14 for a 1ST down
(12:43 - 4th) Following a short keeper by Lawrence, he hits Cornell Powell on a short rollout for a 10-yard TD (B.T. Potter KICK GOOD)
Lville BALL: Interception
(12:11 - 4th) Following consecutive incomplete passes, Conley is intercepted by A.J. Terrell, who returns it 28 yds to the Lvile 25, putting Clemson right outside the red zone.
CLEM BALL: Touchdown (5 play, 25 yards, 1:57)
(11:18 - 4th) Trevor Lawrence pass complete to T.J. Chase for 13 yds to the Lvile 9 for a 1ST down on a great pass he threw on a line to get to him
(10:14 - 4th) Several plays later Darien Rencher scores from eight yards out. (B.T. Potter KICK)
Lville BALL: Touchdown (9-play, 75 yards, 5:04)
- (5:10 - 4th) Breaking off consecutive runs of 19, 12, 15, and 25, The Cards orchestrate their second scoring drive of the game (albeit against the Clemson reserves needing as many reps as possible) courtesy of Hawkins, who was responsible for three of the team’s four major carries on the drive (Blanton Creque KICK GOOD)
CLEM BALL: Touchdown (10-play, 75 yards, 4:10)
(3:04 - 4th)Following a run of zero gains by Mellusi, Chase Brice pass complete to Diondre Overton for 16 yds to the Lvile 37 for a 1ST down
(2:10 - 4th) Forced into 3rd and long following a loss by Michel Dukes and an incomplete pass, Brice’s pass to Ladson is incomplete, but the Cards are flagged for pass interference, keeping the drive alive.
(1:00 - 4th) Chez Mellusi follows up three plays later with a 16-yard touchdown run. Mellusi’s certainly found a knack for getting into the endzone at the end of games (B.T. Potter KICK)
Final: CLEMSON 45 Louisville 10