Clemson came into this one wanting to make a statement. Not only did they score four touchdowns in their first five possessions, but they made it look rather easy in the process. For those who thought FSU might provide this Tiger team a challenge, those thoughts were put to bed very quickly.
The second quarter starts with the Tigers up 14-0 and with Clemson in the midst of their third TD drive of the first half. We pick it up on the seventh play of what would eventually be an eleven play scoring drive.
Clemson 14 FSU 0
- 2nd and 6 FSU 22- Travis Etienne straight up the middle for a yard
- 3rd and 5 FSU 21- Trevor Lawrence keeper around the right side, gains 8. Good seal block on the edge by Anchrum.
- 1st and 10 FSU 13- IZ Etienne gets 3
- 2nd and 7 FSU 10- Lawrence and Ross can not connect. Back shoulder throw into the end zone and Ross couldn’t hang on. Perfect throw
- 3rd and 7 FSU 10- Lawrence to Ross for the TD. Ross runs a slant and Lawrence delivers a strike
Clemson 21 FSU 0 13:13
FSU Ball, FSU 25
- Tigers force a three and out. FSU gets 7 yards on 1st down but can not get anything else going, failing to convert a 3rd and 1. Punt
Clemson Ball, CU 22 11:30
- 1st and 10- Lyn-J Dixon gets 16. Started out going to the right, then cut it back left and got a big gain
- 1st and 10 CU 38- Lawrence to Ngata on a rollout. Gain of 22
- 1st and 10 FSU 40- Dixon picks up 2 on a pitch to the right side
- 2nd and 8 FSU 38- Lawrence finds Amari Rodgers across the middle, gain of 23. Tigers working the middle of the field.
- 1st and 10 FSU 15- Lawrence gains 7 on the keeper.
- 2nd and 3 FSU 8- Lawrence finds Ross for another TD, this time on a quick slant and Ross drags a defender into the end zone
Clemson 28 FSU 0 8:58
FSU Ball, FSU 25
- Another three and out for FSU, highlighted by a Cam Akers run on 2nd down that lost 5 yards.
Clemson Ball, CU 40 7:48
- After a 3 yard completion to Cornell Powell and a 5 yard run by Etienne, Lawrence is picked off. That was a ball that should have been thrown away.
FSU Ball, FSU 36 6:37
- Yet another three and out forced by the Tiger defense, highlighted by an Isaiah Simmons sack of Alex Hornibrook on 3rd and long.
Clemson Ball, CU 45 5:00
- 1st and 10- IZ Dixon gains 6
- 2nd and 4 FSU 49- Lawrence rolls right and dumps off to JC Chalk, gain of 8
- 1st and 10- FSU 41- Lawrence hits Amari on a quick out, gains 5
- 2nd and 5 FSU 36- Lawrence hits Rodgers again, this time after rolling right then throwing back to the left. Gain of 6
- 1st and 10 FSU 30- Lawrence overthrows Joseph Ngata in the end zone
- 2nd and 10 FSU 30- Etienne picks up 20 on a draw
- 1st and Goal FSU 10- Etienne on a counter, picks up 5
- 2nd and Goal FSU 5- Lawrence and Ross can’t hook up in the end zone. Could have been defensive pass interfernce
- 3rd and Goal FSU 5- Lawrence keeps on an option, gains 3
- 4th and Goal FSU- Tigers bring in the big fellas. Tyler Davis and Logan Rudolph are on each end, Nyles Pinckney at FB, and Xavier Thomas at RB. XT gets the pitch, but gets tripped up and fumbles.
FSU Ball, FSU 1 1:00
- Noles combine to get 11 on the first 2 plays, then Chad Smith picks off James Blackman
Clemson Ball, FSU 15
- Clemson drives to the FSU 7, but BT Potter misses the chip shot FG. The Noles run two more plays to end the half.
Clemson came out of the gate firing on all cylinders before getting a little sloppy to end the half. Florida State could have easily gone into halftime finding themselves trailing 38-0. This FSU offense has just found nowhere to go with the ball against Brent Venables’ defense. The few times there was a play to be made, they could not execute.