Before the Clemson basketball against Pittsburgh on Wednesday night, Watson was awarded the South Carolina Football Hall of Fame's Collegiate Player of the Year. At this event, Watson had opened up about his possible departure for the NFL after the 2016 season.
"If I have the opportunity to go to the NFL, I'm going to take it," Watson said.
That is not the news that fans want to hear, obviously, but with Clemson having so much talent over the years, players leaving early for the NFL is nothing ground-breaking. Is this something to overly stress out about? Absolutely not. He, like almost every college football player, has aspirations to play on the sports highest level. This is definitely going to be one of the biggest topics this time next year, as Watson is an incredibly talented player, but that is something we'll have to worry about 12 months from now.
Other Clemson news...
- As noted earlier, Deshaun Watson was named South Carolina Collegiate Player of the Year. Watson broke the ACC record with 5,209 all purpose yards and 47 touchdowns. He won the Davey O'Brien Award and Manning Award for as the nation's top quarterback, and finished third in the Heisman race.
- ESPN's Andrea Adelson, who covers the ACC conference, breaks down the 2016 ACC schedule for 2016.
- In some Swimming&Diving news, the Tigers swimming and diving team was named a CSCAA Scholar All-America Team for a seventh straight semester.
Know The Enemy...
- There was a lot of turnover at South Carolina this off-season as legendary coach Steve Spurrier decided to up and leave during the season. In a head-scratching move, South Carolina hired Auburn's defensive coordinator and former Florida head coach Will Muschamp. The guys over at Garnet and Black Attack take a look at the new coaching regime.
- Florida State is settling with the accuser who made claims back in 2012 that she was sexually assaulted by former Seminole quarterback Jameis Winston.
- What could the Bulldogs depth chart possibly look like in the coming fall? Jake Rowe from 247 Sports take a sneak peak at what it could look like. Note: with spring practice, summer, and fall camp still to come, this will without a doubt look different by the first games in September.
General college sports news...
- In an SEC matchup that had Arkansas going against No. 5 ranked Texas A&M. The Razorbacks were able to pull off the upset at home. There was an absurd 50 fouls called in the game.
- Was Shaq actually joking, or being serious, about comments he made about LSU paying him when he was there. They do say that behind ever joke, there is some truth...
- In some rather bizarre news, check out what was found in Oregon State's endzone that dates back 10,000.