2/14/2015 vs. Virginia Tech
Result: W 75-54
CU Leading Scorer: Jordan Roper (21)
Key Stat: The Tigers hit a season high 11 3-pointers, including 5 from Jordan Roper. Clemson has won five of their last seven games since moving Jordan Roper into the starting lineup.
- Early in the season, both the offense and defense came and went, leading to ugly losses when they were absent simultaneously. As the season as progressed, the defense has become consistently good and we've seen flashes of an above average Brownell offense. Today we got another look at it as the team posted a 121Ortg against a Hokie team coming off a win over GT.
- Roper bounced back from his off shooting night and helped Clemson get off to a 19-4 lead that the Hokies would never challenge. The offense looks completely different when Roper has touch. He finished 8/11 with 21 points and five assists, including 5/6 from behind the arc.
- Roper was favored over DeVoe as the backup point guard. Brownell gave DeVoe the most generous share of garbage minutes as far as bench players is concerned, but used him mostly at the 2. DeVoe though, has clearly passed Rooks on the depth chart. Rooks only entered in the final minute with walk-on Riley McGillan.
- 50.9% of Clemson's shots (not points) came from three. They got hot, got trigger happy, but stayed mostly hot. Even Blossomgame was hitting threes and Grantham's early shot clock chucks were falling.
- Speaking of Blossomgame, he was awesome. He has 14 points on very efficient 6-8 shooting and used some smooth post moves to get them. He also had 7 boards in just 21 minutes. Not quite the double-double that we are used to from him, but yet another magnificent performance.
- Once again, Clemson owned the glass getting 10 more rebounds than the Hokies. They won the battle on the glass 29-24. Five different Tigers finished with more than 5 rebounds. Blossomgame again led the Tigers with 7, Landry Nnoko with 6, Donte Grantham with 5, and Austin Ajukwa with 5 off of the bench.
- Djitte had 4 points and missed a lay-in he should have made, but overall has began looking more much more comfortable - and competent - with the ball.
- Clemson had 8 total turnovers compared to 9 in the second half against Notre Dame. The defense is consistent, and when they don't give away possessions they are a quality team. If they make shots on top of that they're very good. Today they were very good.