clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

“Horowitz Award for Accuracy” Week 5 Update

New, 49 comments

Here is a quick update on the current Horowitz Award Standings.

If you had the crowd noise affecting Notre Dame, you got Horowitz points.
If you had the crowd noise affecting Notre Dame, you got Horowitz points.
Matt Cashore-USA TODAY Sports

Ok, I think you all know how this works. You make predictions. Predictions are either right or wrong and I assign a point value to it based on a sophisticated Hawkingesque system. First, a little motivation from our inspirational leader to get you in the mood.

I'm new here, but I'll give this a try....

Kraken, MTD?

Malik Zimbebwe doesn't finish the season as the starting QB at ND...

by Kurtlikevonnegut on Aug 11, 2015 | 8:34 AM reply rec flag actions

Correct, 3 points

Furthermore, The Kraken, I'm gonna go ahead and predict that we lose by over 14 to ND.
Mark it down.

by philosotiger on Sep 22, 2015 | 9:29 PM reply rec flag actions

Incorrect, -3 points.

MTD

Clemson wins vs. ND by 10-14 points.

I need this. Last fucking place? Ugh.

The least you could do is to set the names alphabetically when tied.

by CU 1993 on Sep 24, 2015 | 6:43 AM reply rec flag actions

Didn't happen. -2 points

You are so wrong here

ND has a back up QB, a talented but still "hybrid" guy at RB, and has lost 5 starters for the season.
They only scored against GT because GT's defense isn't that good. We will not let them score enough to
beat us by 14. Even if we only score 6-10 points, they aren't getting more than 24 on us.

Kraken, MTD: Clemson wins and ND scores 24 points or less.

Keep in mind that ND has played great in their home games and played abysmally on the road.
They eeked out a lucky and close win against UVA which was actually closer to a loss than our win
over Louisville. And Louisville is a better team with a tougher road environment. DW played the
worst game of his career and we still should have won by 10+ (coughSpecialTeamscough
Refscoughcough). Everything is conjecture and misapplication of invalid transitive properties at this
point in the season, but all logic says we should beat Notre Dame and the very idea of them beating
us by 14+ is laughable.

by tigertastic on Sep 23, 2015 | 10:09 AM up reply rec (1) flag actions

Correct with fantastic logic and detail, THAT'S what I'm talking about! 4 points

MTD

we squeak past ND by a touchdown or less.

ND takes revenge on a

poor UMass team and then looks sharp against us in the first half as we're still half-asleep

coming off the bye before we right the ship and barely win it in the 4th quarter.

by NoVATiger13 on Sep 14, 2015 | 9:55 AM reply rec (2) flag actions

Correct but we started fast, Push

Clemson has a 100 yard

Rusher (Gallman, duh) and receiver vs. ND. Mark it down.

by CU 1993 on Sep 24, 2015 | 9:38 PM reply rec (2) flag actions

Neither happened, -2 points

I think that it'll be a close game, but that our defense will be
the difference. I'm going with 24-21 Clemson. DW still looks
a little rusty, but ultimately plays a lot better, and Gallman
shows out. Kraken, MTD.

Oh, and we'll all still mad at our special teams afterward. But honestly, that prediction
shouldn't be worth much.

by cfurlong on Sep 22, 2015 | 11:04 PM up reply rec flag actions

Correct with good detail, 3 points

Kraken, MTD

Ugga takes out several years of frustration this weekend. Chubb puts up a C-note and 2 TDs against
the Shamecocks and Spurrier does the "grimmace and shake" multiple times on camera. UGA wins
by two scores.

by Kurtlikevonnegut on Sep 18, 2015 | 1:01 PM up reply rec (4) flag actions

Pretty easy predictions there, 1 point

Ok, I'm jumping in this game.

MTD

Peake will have a 20+ yard td reception against Notre Dame and our D/special teams will also
score a td.

This will be the first game that I've been to in the valley since we beat up FSU 10 years ago!
I'm very excited for this one!

I read this site religiously, I just very rarely post.

by GGrantor on Sep 23, 2015 | 1:00 AM reply rec (1) flag actions

Neither one happened but I'm sure you had an awesome time at the game, -2 points

This is STS. If Watson is inaccurate/struggles vs. ND we'll
chalk it up to...

- Batson

or

- 5 hearts

or

- Watson not giving 104%

or

- Jesse Palmer

or

- Fuck Syracuse!

Better still... I'll just cut the hypothetical short with an MTD: Watson will play well
(vs. Notre Dame)

by RazzMcTazz on Sep 23, 2015 | 7:39 PM up reply rec (3) flag actions

I thought he played well, but not spectacular. 1 point

MTD The Kraken DSW will participate (running, throwing or receiving) in 4 scores against The Irish.
I'm hoping one of them is a gorgeous Cain to Watson that puts that bitch on ice.

by Tomahawker on Sep 23, 2015 | 9:31 PM up reply rec flag actions

Accounted for 3 scores but they kept the throwback play in the playbook. -1 point

My prediction

Mark it down Kracken, I predict we win this one.

Side note: happy to be leading the ACC weekly picks at this point.

by Mr_C on Oct 3, 2015 | 7:59 PM reply rec flag actions

We won, 1 point

Ok Kraken

Game specific predictions:

1. Prosise and NDs wideout are held to less than 75% of their output by yardage and average
per touch, despite at least one big play each.

2. Clemson is outscored in the 4th, but still wins by at least 8.

3. DW unleashes 3 games worth of holding back and gets more than 9yds/attempt, over 270yards
passing, 2 tds, despite some looney toons snap stalling out a second quarter drive.

4. I have the shits of an alcoholic Sunday.

by ArchimedesScrew on Sep 27, 2015 | 6:54 PM reply rec flag actions

1 ½ were correct and 1 ½ were wrong. Don't embarrass yourself by asking about #4.  1 point

I'm having a very difficult time comparing Clemson and
Notre Dame.

Neither of our teams have played anybody very good. I think the W in the pizza box was a good
one and much better than a 3 point margin of victory.

Even though GT loss to Duke and doesn't look like the same offense as last year (not even close
IMO), I was and continue to be impressed by ND's win over them.

I can't do any MTDs for the outcome because I just don't know enough to make an educated guess.
BUT, Kraken MTD: Death Valley will be good for 3-4 penalties against Kizer and co. (False start or
delay of game)

by Schroedinger's Tiger on Sep 29, 2015 | 9:10 AM reply rec flag actions

We actually forced 3 in a row at one point. Nice job, 2 points.

Kraken, MTD:

If Gallman runs for over 100, Clemson wins the game.

by Kurtlikevonnegut on Oct 1, 2015 | 7:48 AM reply rec (3) flag actions

Push...didn't happen

Great read, The Kraken. Good perspective.

Two things.

1: You should write motivational speeches for troops going into battle. Seriously. They'd be
tearing combatants limb from limb with their bare hands.

2: Mark it down - if we win tomorrow, the world will witness a crowd rush turned mudbowl the
like of which has never been seen. It'll make national news.

by philosotiger on Oct 2, 2015 | 7:00 PM reply rec flag actions

Thanks for the compliment but, no faith in the drainage system? The mudbowl didn't happen. -2 points

Defense will struggle early on but become solid by year end.

by sradvan on Apr 17, 2015 | 9:30 PM reply rec flag actions

Defense was good early on. -2 points

2015 Clemson Football Schedule

Wofford: Clemson rolls, 56-10

App State: Another easy victory, against slight better competition 42-13

@Louisville: A key 4th down conversion late in the 4th enables Clemson to run out the clock. 24-21

ND: Clemson wins a shootout, 49-45

2015 South Carolina Football Schedule

UNC: Lol, defense. 49-56

UK: Home team adantage proves too much for UK. 38-35

@UGA: Richt manages to get control of the program long enough to win beneath the hedges. 21-35

UCF: This is not your 2013 UCF. 31-21

@Mizzou: More 4th Quarter Shenanigans. Another blown lead. Another loss for the home team. 24-21

by MisterWorst on Aug 5, 2015 | 10:32 PM reply rec (6) flag actions

After assessing everything we have...a Push

Kraken, MTD

1) Notre Dame will lose a tough defensive battle on the road in Clemson by 3

by Tiger Diesel on Sep 23, 2015 | 1:25 AM reply rec flag actions

ND lost a tough defensive battle by 2. Close enough. 2 points

Mark it Down Kraken...

Clemson covers that 2 point spread—I reserve the right to wimp out depending on what the guy doing
the Q&A writes back... he might score me a lot

by Ryan Kantor on Sep 27, 2015 | 10:40 PM up reply rec flag actions

Clemson did not cover 2 points. -1 points

Kraken MTD: Clemson comes out in traditional helmets for warmups on Saturday but will be
wearing chrome helmets at the top of the hill.

by damedsz on Sep 29, 2015 | 10:53 PM reply rec (6) flag actions

Didn't happen, -1 point

Well said GG.

Kraken, MTD:

Louisville justifies their place in Ryan's power rankings of the ACC and Friends
by beating Jacoby Brisket and his saucy Wolfpack this weekend.

by Kurtlikevonnegut on Sep 29, 2015 | 8:28 AM up reply rec (2) flag actions

UL did upset NCS at NCS. 2 points

I agree ...

I think they come out and throw the kitchen sink at us offensively and defensively, and we start off slow.

I think we will settle down and pull away in the late 3rd ... but it will be a 1-2 score game at the end.

Kraken, MTD:

Clemson: 31

UL: 27

by andyedds on Sep 17, 2015 | 8:51 AM up reply rec (1) flag actions

Pretty accurate but not totally. 2 points

Even when/if backup and prototypical QB Kyle Bolin enters the game to lift the Cardinals' passing attack,
I do not expect Louisville to sustain success on offense. I have higher expectations for the result, but
will hedge and call a victory in the neighborhood of 31-17.

Alex Craft 9/16

Bolin started. No sustainable success offensively. Victory was closer. -1 Point

WILKINS COMING OUT PARTY TONIGHT

MTD!

Clemson Rises!

by scgreatest803 on Sep 17, 2015 | 11:34 AM up reply rec flag actions

Hmmm, you should be more specific. This is debatable. Push.

Kraken, MTD

R2M3 will do something electric tomorrow night on the national stage that gives the team a spark
and gets him talked about on the national news circuit on Friday. Could be a KR, or a PR, or maybe
just takes a quick screen/jet sweep to the house, but I see him being a difference maker.

Kurtlikevonnegut

This was for the UL game but I don't have a date.  Didn't happen. -2 points

Yeah I'm looking forward to tonight's game.

There are some good matchups this weekend too.

Kracken, I predict SCAR will beat UGA on Saturday. MTD!

by ufTiger on Sep 18, 2015 | 10:49 AM up reply rec flag actions

SC got destroyed. -3 points

speaking of which

I predict South Carolina loses to UGA this year (which would be just the second time since 2009).
Not necessarily a blowout, but I don't see it being as close as last year. If things don't go right for
them in the first half, this one could get ugly...

Kraken, MTD!

by The Argonaut on Aug 5, 2015 | 2:20 PM up reply rec flag actions

It did get ugly. 2 points.

Since I am in lead position I feel I should get crazy with my
MTDing

MTD Clemson will get Gameday against ND

And...MTD Reader returns for the ND game...(probably by next Monday but don't MTD me on
that specific date...)

by QuackingTiger on Sep 24, 2015 | 1:34 PM reply rec flag actions

One right and one wrong. Push.

"Horowitz Award" Standings
-3 damedsz
-4 5knklshfl
-5 PenthouseTiger
-5 philosotiger
-6 NoVATiger13
-10 CU1993

• QT is still holding strong although Schroedinger's Tiger has made up a little ground.
  • CU1993 tried to break the tie for last place in the past two weeks. The good news for NoVATiger13 is that he has succeeded.
  • That can only mean that PenthouseTiger is not in last place.
  • Tigertastic used the best prediction of the past two weeks to vault himself into 3rd place.

Also, I want to let ya'll know before a prediction-palooza breaks out that if we're a heavy favorite, I'm not going to give points for predicting us to simply win the game. Just so everybody knows.

Until next time...