clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Men's Soccer Advances to Semifinals

The Tigers defeated the Demon Deacons 3-2 in a penalty shootout to advance to the ACC Semifinals.

This past Sunday the #14 Tigers faced off against the #18 Demon Deacons in the ACC Quarterfinals at Riggs Field. Wake Forest has improved since the early season clash that Clemson won 3-1. The Tigers came out in their 4-2-3-1 with Tarbell in goal, Dia, Kavita, Fisher, and Amirkhanian across the back, Shannon and Clowes holding, Mafi, Chinchilla, and Moreno in an advanced role, and Burnikel at forward.

Clemson played very well defensively throughout the match and kept Wake from having many solid goal scoring opportunities. The Tigers were able to apply pressure and possess the ball well in the attacking third. Clemson was able to double Wake in shots taken. The Tigers came close to scoring a few times in the first half but were denied by the post and the keeper. Clemson also looked dangerous from corner kicks, where they had a 13-2 advantage over the course of the match.

The first goal was a Clemson own goal in the 54th minute. Tarbell saved a shot but he was unable to clean it up and the rebound deflected off a Clemson player and went into the goal. Losing off that would have been particularly cruel so thankfully the Tigers had enough time left to mount a comeback. Clemson knotted things up at 1 all in the 61st minute with a goal by Diego Campos. The shot came from 8 yards out after a cross by TJ Casner. It was Casner's 6th assist on the season, which leads the team.

The game finished in a 1-1 tie and neither team scored in overtime so it went to regulation. Coach Noonan made the interesting decision to put Chris Glodack in goal instead of Andrew Tarbell. The decision paid off, with Glodack making three saves. Amirkhanian, Moreno, and Kavita scored in the shootout. Kavita's goal was the game winner.

With the win, Clemson will face off against #1 Notre Dame in the semifinals Friday in Cary, NC.