Shocking to no one, it is really cold here. I was planning to break out the grill for a few recipes, but when it is 25 outside I prefer to cook in Mexico in the pre-Columbian times. It had some sort of ritual significance, but the only important part I care about is warming my belly. It is commonly found with pork in it, but I was trying for a healthier alternative and used chicken breasts.
Posole is also served with several toppings, and this recipe suggested cabbage, avocado, fresh limes, and Cotija cheese. I went with the Avocado and lime and it added some nice contrast to the soup.
This recipe came from Seasonal Southwest Cooking and had the added benefit of not taking too long to make. A note for new readers, you can check out previous recipes here, and send me an email at email@example.com if you have a recipe you'd like to see here, or a suggestion of a type of dish.
2 large Chicken Breast halves, bone in, skin cut off
1 lbs. Tomatillos, husked and rinsed
7 cups Water
1 tsp. Salt
2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
1 tbsp. Corn Oil
2 cups Onion, diced
1 tbsp. Garlic, chopped
2 tsp. Cumin
1 tsp. Oregano
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 (28 ounce) can White Hominy, drained and rinsed
1 tbsp. Lime Juice
1. In large saucepan, place chicken, tomatillos, water, and salt. Bring to a boil.
2. Reduce to a simmer and cook until tomatillos softened and chicken cooked, about 15 minutes.
3. Place tomatillos in a blender and add chilis. Puree and set aside.
4. Remove chicken from water and allow to cool before shredding into bite-sized pieces.
5. Save liquid in a separate container.
6. Using original saucepan, heat corn oil and saute onions until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
7. Add garlic, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper. Continue cooking for another 5 minutes. Onions should be tender.
8. Add Hominy, tomatillo mixture, and liquid from earlier back into the saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes. Add chicken and lime juice and heat through.
9. Taste for seasoning and add salt, pepper, lime juice, or oregano as needed.
10. Serve in bowls with shredded cabbage, diced avocado, fresh lime, and Cotija cheese as sides.