Key more in the sense that it gets us off the road hex we're under for one night than anything I believe. We really needed something to boost the team's confidence on the road, and this is a step in the right direction. Plus, we were 0-7 in games decided by five points or less before this afternoon. We'll need to pull these close games going forward, whether we make the NCAA or not.
For most of this game I was pretty disappointed however. In the first half the pace was going our way but Miami was hitting their shots and we were just not executing well. Shot selection wasn't so hot and the occasional brain cramps by different guys kept us from going ahead further and staying there. Not that there was a big issue, we only turned it over 10 times and there were few WTF moments, but It just seems like there is less focus and energy from the team when we play on the road, moreso than any other single problem. We just don't get in a flow and some guys on this team shouldn't be on an ACC court, but you already knew that.
Other things of note from this one after the jump
- Clemson's top two rebounders were Young and Stitt, with 5 each. Why does Booker look so lost inside when the ball goes to the goal? He has to hustle and push people out. Grant hasn't gotten it done on the boards in a couple weeks either. Your guards shouldn't be leading the rebounding, but at least they followed their shots.
- Miami hit 48.7% overall, but they love to shoot the 3 far too much. Clemson's forcing of 16 turnovers was big to combat that shooting.
- Ultimate difference was in FT shooting, Clemson hit 18-of-21 from the line, can you believe it?
- Tanner Smith had a whopping 8 assists and NO TURNOVERS. The pass to Andre Young with just over 2 min to go was very nice.
- Milton Jennings looked lost as usual. One game looks good, another absolutely awful. Cory Stanton played 19 minutes and I don't think I ever noticed him doing anything at all.
Finally, I was happy with the in-game coaching from Brownell at the end. We let them inbound at 10 sec and didn't foul, but under 5 we forced the foul and made them hit the FTs. That seemed to be the kind of thing OP wouldn't do, and it would end up losing us the game.
PLAY THE MARCH TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME AND YOU COULD WIN A TRIP FOR TWO TO LAS VEGAS! LOOK FOR THE CODE INSIDE SPECIALLY-MARKED PACKAKGES 12-PACKS OF BUD LIGHT ENTER CODE AT FACEBOOOK.COM/BUDLIGHT No Purchase Necessary. Open to U.S. residents (except CA & TX) 21+. For a chance to win a Grand or First Prize, Game Period 1 begins 3PM CST on 2/14 & ends 3PM CDT on 3/18. For a chance to win a First Prize only, Game Period 2 begins 3:00:01PM CDT on 3/18 & ends 3PM CDT on 4/30. To participate, obtain a Code from inside specially-marked packages of Bud Light beer or to request a Code without purchase, visit budlight.com/freecode during a Game Period. Limit one (1) free Code request/day/person or email address. To play, text HOOPS to BEERS (23377) & follow prompts or visit budlight.com/freecode & follow instructions. See Official Rules inside package or at budlight.com/freecode for complete details. Void in CA, TX & where prohibited. Enjoy Responsibly – SEE COMPS FOR SPECIFIC FONT FOR THIS ©2011 Anheuser-Busch, Inc., Bud Light® Beer, St. Louis, MO